- This event has passed.
TBS Men’s Club Habitat for Humanity Project
August 2, 2019 @ 5:00 am - 11:00 am
Friday August 2nd–Community Service Project
We are confirmed with Habitat for Humanity for Friday, August 2 beginning at 9:00 am. The location, which is in Livingston, will be provided as we get closer to the date. Attached are guidelines for volunteers. You can ignore the requirement that work boots be worn. Any shoes/sneakers with firm soles will be okay. Paul needs to know ASAP who is going to take part.Please email him at email@example.com
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
You will be assisting Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newark in the building of homes or performing of critical repairs for our low and moderate-income partner families. You will be working under the guidance of our professional construction staff and/or trained professional volunteers. The tasks on any given day depend solely on the needs and requirements for each project on that day and can vary. Typically, our volunteers perform tasks such as: framing, insulation, sheet rocking, siding, painting, installation of flooring, landscaping, demolition and more.
You will be shown the proper way to perform each task and how to safely handle the equipment. You will never be made to do something that makes you
uncomfortable so just let us know if you prefer not to do a specific task.
WHAT TO WEAR
• Work clothing appropriate for the time of year (houses under construction are usually not heated). As a safety precaution, always wear long pants (no shorts). Bring a long-sleeved shirt if you will be doing insulation.
• Heavy-soled work boots (No sneakers or athletic shoes; you will not be allowed on the work site without proper footwear).
• Work gloves.
• Personal protective gear (hard hats, goggles, etc.) is available at the work site. For your safety and the safety of your fellow volunteers, it is mandatory that you follow all instructions and wear all protective gear given by our site supervisor on the job site. Please ask questions if you do not fully understand your instructions, your task, or your protective gear.
WHAT TO BRING
• Lunch and a beverage. Sandwiches, barbecue, pizza, drinks, etc. can be purchased locally if you desire.
• A pencil or two (there never seem to be enough around).
• All tools and materials will be supplied by Habitat. However, you may bring personal tools if you wish. If you choose to do so, please make sure that they are well marked.
WORK DAY SCHEDULE
• By 9 AM: Arrive at Building Site (locations vary), sign in, on-site orientation, safety briefing, and begin your workday.
• 12:00 Noon: Lunch.
• 3:00 – 3:30 PM: Cleanup work site and storage of tools.
• 3:30 PM: Head for home.
At most of the work sites, a portable toilet is available for your use.
SECURITY AT BUILD SITES (STREET SMARTS 101)
While we fully expect that you will have a safe and productive experience, there are a number of things you can do to ensure that this is the case.
• Bring as few cars as possible by car-pooling. Don’t leave any removable items visible in your car.
• It is best to bring with you only what you can keep in your pockets. Consider carrying only a small pocket wallet containing your driver’s license and a few dollars for any purchases you might want to make.
For any questions on the day of your build, please contact Matt DesLonde at 201-892-3663.